I have been wanting to make a barrier type terrain piece so I used some left over pieces of foam, cork and some wood stir sticks to put this together.
My process here was pretty straight forward. I started by scoring brick onto some appropriately sized foam board. I used two 1/8" thick pieces that were rectangular. I cut the ends at 45 degree angles for the corners to meet. I then cut away and broke off peices to be the size and shape that I wanted the walls to be. I pinned it to the cork board and traced the outline. I then lined the interior with the wood stir sticks which were cut to be approximately 8 ft long in scale. I raised some pieces and made sure there were variations to the placement, trying to make sure the outside pieces were mangled and broken. I scored wooden texture into the wood and pressed divots where the ends met to look like nails.
I took a thin piece of card and created an edge cover for the seam of the building. I covered the base with small sand and rocks, then primed the base and did a quick paint of the foam. I kept the pieces separate as long as I could.
I then did a pre wash of the base. I used a reddish-brown ink for the wood, making sure to get the recesses, and a dark umber for the dirt and seams.
I then washed the bricks and attached it to the base with hot glue. I heavily dry bushed the wood with a medium brown, re washed some areas with umber and sepia for dirty variations and did a final light dry brushing with light browns and bone colors. I did a heavy dry brushing of the dirt areas with a dark grey, re washed areas with umber and sepia for dirty areas then did a light dry brush of med grey. I went heavier on some areas with the med grey to focus attention on some areas.
I added some moss and grass around the corners to hide seams and protruding hot glue. I also placed some around the wood in areas that seemed to make sense. Final highlighting and some more grass and this thing is done.